Portable oxygen concentrators or POCs represent medical grade breathing devices aimed at patients with sleep apnea or other breathing-related conditions. Once, oxygen concentrators used to be heavy, difficult to use and they would allow minimum freedom of movement. Today, portable oxygen concentrators are small, compact and highly efficient devices equipped with heavy-duty batteries meant to […]
Portable oxygen concentrators or POCs represent medical grade breathing devices aimed at patients with sleep apnea or other breathing-related conditions. Once, oxygen concentrators used to be heavy, difficult to use and they would allow minimum freedom of movement. Today, portable oxygen concentrators are small, compact and highly efficient devices equipped with heavy-duty batteries meant to provide patients with the most efficient treatment available whether at home or traveling.
There is a wide selection of POCs available on the market, but when choosing the perfect device, patients should make a well informed and educated decision. They should be able to select the perfect concentrator, suitable for their personal needs. Please find below a selection of the most popular, efficient and highly professional portable oxygen concentrators for 2020.
Things you should know about using a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC)
POCs allow users an incredible amount of flexibility and independence. With a portable oxygen concentrator you can enjoy your daily tasks at liberty while still getting the required amount of oxygen into your lungs. Portable Oxygen Concentrators are mainly ideal for people who lead an active lifestyle and wish to keep up with friends, family and conduct an active lifestyle outdoors as much as possible. With a POC it is also incredibly easy and convenient to travel.
However, it is important to keep in mind that POCs might require a higher investment. These therapeutic grade units come with complex technology and some truly complex features that allow users to move around and travel without any problems, while still getting required therapy. Depending on your individual needs, your lifestyle, your medical requirements, POCs come at various prices. It is also very important to carefully comparison shop and buy the concentrator that best suits your individual needs but also your available budget.
Things to consider before buying a POC
- Define your oxygen needs. How much oxygen do you need for sitting/standing, or for performing certain usual activities? Your physician can answer all these questions for you and then indicate the type of POC that you might need, based on your individual needs/lifestyle.
- How will you use your POC? Do you need the concentrator mostly while at home? Or do you need it mostly for traveling, exercising, etc. In case you wish to travel frequently, you will have to look for a concentrator that is FAA approved, and one that also comes with a compact and easy to carry design. Frequent travelers should look for a designated travel-friendly POC.
- Can you carry the POC, lift it easily? Or do you need one with a special carry bag? Check out carefully the carry options on the seller’s site and see which type of POC would best suit these needs.
- Would you need to use your POC mostly during daytime or during the night as well? This is an important question that can make a huge difference. If you need to use your POC on a 24 hours basis, you must select one that comes with all the required parameters and functions
- Do you need a continuous oxygen flow or a Pulse Dose? There are many POCs that provide both types of therapeutic functions and they can be alternated
- Do you need a POC with a humidifier function? Do you struggle often with irritations and allergies?
POCs: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Continuous Flow and PulseDose?
Both Continuous Flow and Pulse Dose represents the way in which the oxygen is delivered to the patient by the concentrator. Pulse Dose means that the oxygen is delivered to the patient only when the patient initiates a breath. A continuous flow means that the machine delivers oxygen on a constant level. It is important to mention that most available POCs with a Continuous Flow will also have the Pulse Dose option available.
Is it safe to use Pulse Dose setting during the night?
The majority of physicians will recommend the use of Continuous Flow while sleeping. However, you should ask your doctor for more details regarding whether or not you can use Pulse Dose setting during sleep.
Can you use your POC when traveling internationally?
Most portable oxygen concentrators will have an international power supply. You just need to use the compatible adapter for 100v, 250v / 50 or 60hertz respectively.
How about using your POC while traveling by car?
You can use your POC while traveling by car. You just need to use the DC adapter supplied with your machine. Replacement DC adapters are also available.
How much does a portable oxygen concentrator cost?
Prices may vary depending on several factors such as brand, POC type, extra functions, batteries and other aspects. POCs can start at around $1400 and go up to $3,500 or more.
Inogen One G3 is an incredibly powerful, compact and efficient Pulse Dose machine, equipped with an advanced technology motor and several helpful features. The device is a top reliable choice for patients who need to use the POC on a 24-hour basis. When you purchase the Inogen One G3 oxygen concentrator, you will receive AC and DC cords, and integrated batteries.
Inogen One G3 is equipped with an advanced trigger sensitivity mechanism in order to provide patients with the best reliability during therapy. The device is capable of detecting the breath phase and it will deliver oxygen upon this phase to create the most natural breathing pattern. Some further top specifications include:
- Small and lightweight device- weighs less than 5 pounds
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty for the main unit
- Pulse Dose therapy for maximum efficiency & quick compliance
- Very low maintenance (only filter cleaning/ charging needed)
- When the breath rate drops, the device delivers a bolus cycle so that more oxygen enters the lungs
- Up to 9.5 hours of continuous therapy with the 15 Cell Battery
- 90% oxygen concentration on all settings
- Can be used during the night as well
Inogen One G3 is an extremely powerful pulse dose medical oxygen unit that can be operated from settings 1 to 5, depending on your individual needs. The machine is also lightweight, which makes it an extremely convenient choice for frequent travelers and users who lead an active lifestyle. The main measurements of the unit are the following: 8.75” wide, 3” deep and 8.25” high. The unit is also equipped with an ultra-powerful 8 cell G3 battery. On average, the machine is capable of delivering continuous therapy for up to 4 hours, when used on setting 2. If you will use the 16 cell battery, you can enjoy double time of quality medical oxygen therapy.
Inogen One G3 is incredibly easy to carry, thanks to the great wearable technology features. This is an ergonomic and lightweight unit that helps patients become more independent than ever while enjoying the required oxygen therapy. Wear Inogen One G3 over the shoulders just like a carry bag and enjoy the needed therapy wherever you go. Product weight is only 4.9 pounds with the standard 8 cell battery included. Lowest battery consumption is on Setting one (only 19W), while on setting 2 it consumes only 20W. Being an FAA approved device, you can easily take it with you during flights and enjoy quality therapy wherever you travel.
The oxygen concentration levels are around 90%, regardless of the used setting. Before purchasing Inogen One G3 make sure to discuss the main features and details with your physician. He will be able to inform you about the pros of getting such a unit, based on your individual medical needs and requirements.
Inogen One G4 is considered one of the smallest, lightest and most compact portable oxygen concentrators. The device delivers oxygen in an extremely quiet and efficient manner, and it comes with 3 different oxygen flow settings. Inogen One G3 was designed to provide maximum compliance and freedom of movement to patients who require oxygen therapy on an ongoing basis. The Intelligent Delivery technology helps detecting the breath quickly and then deliver the required oxygen dose within the first milliseconds. The device delivers oxygen right at the incipient phase of the breath, which means oxygen enters the system in the most efficient and useful manner.
Using Inogen One G4 ensures a restful night of sleep for both the patient and the bed partner. The device has a noise level of only 40 decibels, which means patients will feel more comfortable not only during sleep by also during social outings. This particular oxygen concentrator is also extremely efficient for patients who follow a physical activity routine. In order to ensure your energy needs are satisfied, Inogen One G4 will deliver small and fast oxygen bursts during physical activity. Whenever the device detects a shallower respiration rate, it will deliver a wider bolus of oxygen that will match your natural breathing pattern and needs.
The people from Inogen have been hard at work developing a new and improved portable oxygen concentrator. Recently they introduced the all-new Inogen G5. This machine is currently one of the lightest on the market and has excellent battery life. It’s the best solution for people that need frequent oxygen delivery and don’t want to change their lifestyle. Packed with a lot of power this oxygen concentrator continues and improves on the success of the Inogen’s G series. Creating a light but powerful oxygen equipment has been the main goal of the company. The long battery life will ensure the freedom of every patient using it. And the quiet operation (at only 39 decibels) will provide comfortable usage.
The Inogen Connect free app is available for Apple and Android, and it will help you monitor your Inogen G5 more closely.
Here are the G5 the main features:
- low Settings: 1-6 LPM
- Weight: 4.7 Pounds
- Up To 6.5 Hours Of Battery Life With Single Battery
- Up To 13 Hours Of Battery Life With Double Battery
- FAA Approved For Airline Travel
- 1260 LPM
- Charge With AC (Wall Outlet) Or DC (Car Outlet Charger)
- Dimensions: Height 8.15″ * Length 7.19″ * Width 3.26″
- Connected Health App
- Sound Level: 38dbA On Flow Setting 2
- Three Year Warranty
The package includes:
- The main unit
- 8 Cell Battery (16 Cell Upgrade Optional)
- G5 Custom Carry Case
- AC Power Supply
- DC Power Supply (Car/Vehicle Charging)
- User Manual
- 3 Year Warranty
- LIFETIME Technical Support
The Respironics SimplyGo Mini is actually the smallest and lightest portable oxygen concentrator made by Philips. Weighing less than 5 pounds, with an oxygen capacity of 1,000ml/ min and with 5 different Pulse Dose settings, this device represents the ideal solution for patients looking for reliable treatment in any setting. The machine is equipped with an intuitive and easy to read LCD touch screen, so that patients can quickly and efficiently set the desired settings.
Philips Respironics SimplyGo Mini is lightweight and easy to carry around, and it represents the perfect treatment solution both at home or while traveling on a plane, camping, and so on. Thanks to its rugged and compact design, the SimplyGo Mini will prove to be the best choice for patients who perform physical activities. On a Pulse Setting of 2 at 20 BPM, the battery will last up to 4.5 hours while run time with extended battery is up to 9 hours on Setting 1.
When you purchase the Philips Respironics SimplyGo Mini portable oxygen concentrator, this is what you will get in the box: the SimplyGo main unit, a stylish carrying case, DC/AC cords, Accessory bag, the user manual, 1 standard or extended rechargeable lithium ion battery, and a 3-year warranty from the manufacturer. This is an FAA approved portable oxygen concentrator.
Portability, reliability and maximum therapy compliance are what best characterize the Respironics SimplyGo portable oxygen concentrator by Philips. SimplyGo is also the only concentrator capable of providing both Continuous flow and Pulse Dose therapy packed in a single unit that weighs less than 10 pounds. Extremely rugged and compact, SimplyGo represents the ideal therapeutic solution for patients looking for maximum reliability and effectiveness during the day, during the night, during physical activity or while traveling.
When you purchase the Philips Respironics SimplyGo device, this is what’s included in the box: the main SimplyGo unit, stylish carrying case, rechargeable Lithium Ion battery, a mobile cart with oversized wheels, DC/AC power cords, a case for accessories and a detailed user manual.
Philips Respironics SimplyGo has Sleep Mode, which is quite similar to the regular Pulse Dose. In Sleep Mode, the device will detect the incipient phase of a breath and then it will deliver a pulsed dose of oxygen which is determined by the number of the setting. In Sleep Mode the device comes with an increased sensitivity module and a much gentler pulse in order to ensure maximum comfort of breathing during sleep. This intelligent module is capable of detecting immediately when there is no breath sensed and then it will revert to continuous flow mode to ensure required oxygen is delivered to the patient.
– Continuous Flow & Pulse Dose Modes- select the most convenient type of therapy
– Easy to carry- weighing only 4,5kg
– SimplyGo is incredibly easy and comfortable to use during the night thanks to Sleep Mode
In Pulse Mode, the device will deliver a “pulse” of oxygen at the initiation of each breath. In case the unit cannot detect a breath it will deliver a fixed dose of pulsed oxygen, while if there is no breath detected for 2+ minutes the unit will send an alarm, and it will shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity. In Continuous Flow mode, the unit can be operated on 4 different levels- 0.5L, 1L, 1.5L or 2L of oxygen per minute.
What’s included in the box:
- Philips SimplyGo main unit
- Rechargeable battery unit
- Stylish carry bag
- Mobile cart for easier transportation
- AC / DC powerful supply +Cord
- Accessories Bag
- Detailed user manual
Lifechoice Activox 4 L by ResMed is a mobile oxygen therapy device providing maximum efficiency and comfort for patients with breathing related health issues. The device is equipped with an ultra-long lasting battery, and there are several advanced technologies incorporated which summed up offer a truly reliable and compliant therapy. There are no tanks that need to be filled, and no heavy oversized carts that need to be carried around. With ResMed Activox 4L, patients can enjoy required oxygen therapy at home or while on the go.
Weighing only 4.8 pounds (~2.3 kg), LifeChoice Activox by ResMed truly allows for freedom of movement. Patients requiring stable oxygen therapy can now stay active all day long, without worrying about heavy equipment that they need to carry around. When you purchase the device, you will receive a stylish bag that can be converted into a shoulder bag or back-pack, whichever is more comfortable to you. On a single charge, the LifeChoice Activox battery can last up to 10.5 hours on Setting 1. Patients can now spend their time outside without worrying about charging/ changing batteries or tanks. Patients can also easily charge their device while on the go, while actually using the device for therapy.
- 90% +/ – 3% Oxygen Purity delivery
- Only 4.8 lbs.
- Pulse Wave delivery (settings 1-4)
- Battery times: 10+ hours on setting 1; 8.25 hours on setting 2; 5 hours on setting 3, and 4 hours on setting 4. External charge time is 2 hours.
- 3-year limited warranty
- FAA approved
This device is replaced by the Resmed Mobi portable oxygen concentrator Click For More Information.
Eclipse 5 portable oxygen concentrator brought to you by SeQual is an innovative, highly reliable and efficient device. The device is capable of delivering both Pulse Dose and Continuous Flow therapy. Patients that require highly specific oxygen dosage will find the device very useful, as it can deliver continuous flow in 0.5 increments. There are also 6 different Pulse Dose settings available, from 16 to 192ml. SeQual Eclipse 5 weighs only 18.4lbs with battery included, and it has the following dimensions: 12.3 in wide and 7.1 in deep. Even though this is not a lightweight portable oxygen concentrator, patients can carry it around effortlessly thanks to the efficient cart that is included in the purchase. The cart is equipped with a telescopic handle so that you can adjust it exactly the way you want, and you can easily fold up the cart for better transportation.
- Adjustable Rise Time and Bolus Size – with autoSAT technology for maintaining the optimum oxygen levels
- Continuous Flow setting from 0.5 to 3LPM
- Pulse Dose setting from 16 to 192ML
- Easy battery recharge using the standard DC supply
- Both flow settings are available while the device charges at the DC power
- Plenty of alarms and alerts available: low battery, Oxygen flow outside normal levels, unit malfunction, unit power loss, no inspiration detectable in pulse dose mode, low oxygen output
- Battery duration at Continuous Flow setting is 2 hours at 2LPM and 5.1 hours in Pulse Dose mode
- FAA approved portable oxygen concentrator
- AutoSAT Technology- helps maintaining a steady oxygen level + Adjustable Rise Time & Bolus Size
- 0.5L to 3LPM Continuous Flow
- 16 to 192mL Pulse Dose Mode
- Battery rechargeable while the main unit is connected
- Rise Time options: Slow, Medium, Fast
- 3 Adjustable Pulse Dose sensitivity settings
- Dimensions: 12.3 inches Wide x 7.1 inches Long and 19.3 inches high
- Weight: 15 pounds (18.4 pounds including battery)
- 3 years Manufacturer’s warranty
- Several alarms: low battery, unit malfunctioning, low oxygen flow, no breath detected
- Battery charging times: 1.8 hours and up to 5 hours in order to reach 80% capacity
- FAA Approved unit
- Noise levels: 48 dB at 3LPM / 40dB at 3.0 Pulse Dose setting
Price Comparison Chart
|Inogen One G3 – $2,295.00||Pulse Dose Delivery/ Awake & Sleeping Treatment/ 1 to 5 settings/ up to 8.5 hours battery life / noise level only 39dB|
|Inogen One G4 – $2,295.00||PULSE Dose delivery method/ used for Awake & Sleeping/ weighs only 2.68lbs. / 3 hours battery life/ 3 years warranty on the unit|
|Inogen One G5 – $2,395.00||PULSE Dose delivery method/ used for Awake & Sleeping/24/7 oxygen delivery/ highest oxygen output per pound of weight of any portable oxygen concentrator currently available|
|Philips Respironics SimplyGo Mini- $2.895.00||Available with an extended battery/ min. 87% oxygen concentration on all settings/ weighs 5lbs. / stylish carrying case and accessories bag|
|Philips Respironics SimplyGO- $2,495.00||Impact-resistant design/ Home or Travel use/ non-medical looking case/ Continuous Flow & Pulse Dose / only 10lbs.|
|ResMed Activox 4L (replaced by Resmed Mobi)||Long-lasting internal battery/ 4LPM/ for patients with higher oxygen requirements/|
|SEQUAL Eclipse 5 – best price: $2,500||Portable Oxygen Concentrator with SAT/ next-generation components/ robust and reliable/ Continuous and Pulse Dose option/ FAA Approved|
When buying POCs online, it is extremely important to choose a reputable seller. This way you can rest assured that you will enjoy the best possible price, with flexible financing options available and seller warranties. Online, you can also compare prices and features in order to select the POC that best suits your individual needs. By choosing a reputable seller you can also ask questions or state your concerns.
When shopping online, you can narrow your search considering the following criteria:
- Selecting a POC with the best battery duration, especially if you lead an active lifestyle
- Size- look for a small and compact portable oxygen concentrator that suits your needs and individual lifestyle
- Weight- look for a light POC that can be easily carried around- especially if you are a frequent traveler
- Search for an FAA approved POC that will allow you to take therapy with you even during flights
If you have any experience with these machines and want to share your opinion please do it in the comment section below. To find out what are the oxygen concetrator prices click on the links above the pictures.